Maintenance of ceramic tiles
Have you recently installed new ceramic tires from our store in Montreal? Or you have had them for a while, but still experience difficulties on how to clean and maintain them properly? Don't worry, we're here to help you. First of all, you should know that ceramic tiles from Italbec require little to no maintenance, but it is still important to take good care of them in order to keep your floor shiny and stain-free. There are good reflexes to adopt immediately after installation and during basic cleaning.
Here is an article explaining everything you need to do to clean and maintain your ceramic tiles in order to keep them looking fresh for as long as possible.
All you need to do when cleaning
After installation: If you have just installed your ceramic tiles, it is important to follow certain steps during the first cleaning. To remove any residue left by the workers (dust, glue) start with an acid-base wash. You should only do this once and always follow the manufacturer's directions. Otherwise you can remove the excess residue by passing a mop with lukewarm water, which is preferable. Above all, do not scrub the floor. Just remember to change the water several times because it can quickly become dirty, especially when cleaning right after installation.
For weekly cleaning: Every week, sweep the floor with a broom or vacuum, followed by a mop with a neutral detergent, specialized for ceramics, to keep your tiling impeccable. If your floor is clear-colored, you can skip a week, but if it is dark-colored, it is recommended to wash it every week to quickly remove spots and traces that are easily visible. Always use a suitable detergent for cleaning, this is extremely important.
Quarterly maintenance: With ceramic tiles, it is recommended to thoroughly clean them every 3 months, to remove stains, bacteria and other unwanted dirt. With a simple superficial washing, it will be difficult to get rid of these stains and traces. To do this maintenance, use a strong cleaner. Just remember to rinse well after applying it on your ceramic tiles to avoid traces or stains.
Steps to follow for daily maintenance
Daily maintenance of your ceramic tiles is essential to be able to keep them for a long time. Follow all these steps to properly clean your ceramic tiles and restore their shine.
- First sweep or vacuum before washing
- Never use detergents containing hydrofluoric acid because they are known to quickly deteriorate the surface of the ceramic tiles
- Avoid using steel wool to clean your ceramic tiles, you risk scratches or highlighting those that already exist. In any case, forget about acids, alkalis, iron flakes and other abrasive products. You could create irreversible damage
- Try to keep your tiles as clean as possible. Dirt like dust and sand can increase the abrasive effect of stamping, especially if the tiles are in a room with a lot of traffic like the kitchen.
- It is much easier to eliminate a stain when cleaning occurs immediately afterwards. If you wait too long, you may have a hard time removing stains that will leave traces regardless of which detergent you use.
- After washing, rinse with a water vacuum cleaner or with a mop. A mop is ideal because it is soft and allows a beautiful finish without visible traces.
- To remove the most stubborn stains on your ceramic tiles, you can use an intensive detergent or white vinegar diluted in water. Rinse well after putting it on your floors. Be careful though, make sure it is suitable before using.
Beware of homemade solutions
It is important to always follow the above advice and do not try to clean your tiles with other products or homemade concoctions as you may have the opposite effect of what you are looking for. Here are all the products you should avoid:
- Waxes and varnish
- Oily soaps and scented products
- Castor oil and black soap
- Silicones, fats and synthetic emulsions
All these products may seem like ideal solutions for cleaning your ceramic floors, thanks to their antibacterial, stain-removing and stripping powers. However, these products leave a greasy film on the surface of the tiles, which retain stains and dirt. After that it will be more and more difficult to do the cleaning and you will have trouble recovering the floor you had originally, especially if it is dark-colored. Also avoid grandma's tips and homemade concoctions. You might end up with the same results. Either way, always ask for cleaning advice from one of our advisors at our ceramic tile store in Montreal when purchasing.
Browse our online ceramic collection to find the perfect ones for your renovations.